Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Sinus Infections Derail Household

Well, a spat with some nasty germs living in Z and my sinuses has kept me away for a bit. We're not better, but we have the finest chemicals modern science can provide us working for us now, so we don't have to do all the heavy lifting. Listening to the John Denver & Muppets Christmas album seems to help, or maybe that's the decongestant talking.

Anyway, watched part of the Sigur Ros film "Heima" yesterday, which is an absolutely beautiful document of the band and their home, Iceland . It's very rare that (what is essentially) a tour film truly expresses the soul of a band, but this one far surpasses that mark and I, for one, couldn't be happier that it has occurred with this particular band.

If the point of music is to create a transcendent state in the listener, Sigur Ros is one of the few 'rock' bands in existence that actually achieve this. To provide some perspective, I attended my first live performance by the band about 3 years ago; that day I was in considerable pain, I would, in fact, be in the hospital the following day having my appendix removed. That night, however, my pain was lifted. The absolute beauty of the performance was so overwhelming that there was nothing else left in the world, it was all-consuming. That feeling returned watching "Heima." I have not finished the film at this point, but it would take something extremely terrible to destroy this experience. I really do not need to go further to be able to say that I wholeheartedly recommend this film to anyone. Sigur Ros may not become your favorite band, but I think you would be hard pressed to not find something to love about this film.

No comments: